HEALTHY VISION MONTH
At King LASIK, we take vision seriously year-round, including during Healthy Vision Month! Every May, the Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention team up with the National Eye Institute to encourage Americans to make their vision a priority. In honor of Healthy Vision Month, King LASIK has put together the following tips to help you stay on top of your eye health.
Live a Healthy Lifestyle
- Eat a well-balanced diet rich in eye-friendly nutrients including omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin C, lutein and zeaxanthin.
- Avoid smoking. Smoking has been linked to cataracts, age-related macular degeneration and other eye diseases.
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day. Many eye diseases have been linked to other health problems, many of which can be improved by exercising regularly.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes with your hands, which can carry harmful bacteria.
- Visit the doctor regularly to stay on top of your overall health. Certain health conditions like diabetes and high blood pressure can increase your chances of eye problems.
Protect Your Vision
- Wear wraparound sunglasses with 100 percent UV protection to avoid sun damage.
- Give your eyes a break from technology by taking frequent breaks. Practice the 20-20-20 rule: Every 20 minutes, stare at an object that is 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
- Wear protective eyewear to prevent eye injuries during sports and projects like home repairs and gardening. Wear protective goggles at work, if necessary.
- Take out your contacts every night before going to bed.
- Cleanse your contacts properly to avoid infection.
- Stay up to date with your eye prescription.
Visit Your Eye Doctor Regularly
- Schedule a routine eye exam to check for changes in your vision and eye diseases.
- If you are over age 40, schedule a baseline eye disease screening.
- Learn your family’s history of eye diseases and report any to your eye doctor.
- Report any changes in your vision (blurriness, vision loss, etc.) to your eye doctor immediately.
Spread the Word!
Eye diseases are all too common, but many of them are also preventable and manageable. This Healthy Vision Month, encourage your loved ones to take steps to protect their vision. Plan out a 30-minute walk or jog with loved one near one of Portland’s most popular attractions. Schedule a routine eye exam for your children. Cook more eye-friendly recipes. Buy a friend a pair of sunglasses to wear. Encourage your older loved ones to get screened for eye diseases.
To learn more healthy eye tips, contact King LASIK. Please call (877) 551-2020 today.